Friday 14 September 2007

The Memory of Place art Instalation St. Mary's Castlegate




"The Memory of Place" is a piece of installation art commisioned for York St. Mary's and created by Keiko Mukaide. Fire water, glass, stone and light transform the interior of this deconsecrated church to create a spritual space in which to reflect on memory of loved ones. The installation is inspired by a Japanese ceremony "Shoro Nagashi". Visitors are invited to become involved by lighting a votive candle and floating it on the pool to connect modern life with our ancestors.

In mediaeval times there were 40 churchs within the walls of York. Of these 40, only 19 still remain, including St. Mary's Castlegate.

1 comment:

Freda L said...

I have just discovered your site and am enjoying your photos. As a resident of York for 72 years I thought I knew almost every inch of it but you are finding places I never knew or had forgotten about. I am new to blogging so havn't yet got my own blogg but working on it.