Wednesday 19 September 2007

Ugliest Building in York?



Ask anybody in York what they think is the ugliest building in the city and they will almost all reply "Stonebow". Many feel it is a boring concrete obelisk with no redeeming features. However, there are some out there who praise the fact that it has simple straight uncluttered lines. Don't count me in that group, although some of the buildings put up in the fifties and sixties are interesting in their design with fairly clean lines that do interest me like my old secondary school at Easingwold built in 1953. I am afraid that this building does nothing for me but cause irritation that it could have been allowed to become a blot on the landscape. It is to be hoped that the Hungate redevelopment just round the corner does not foist obscene buildings like this one on the people of York.


No comments: