Saturday 6 September 2008

Petergate Busker


I heard this young lady busker as I came out of Stonegate playing some interesting music, jigs and reels. Although obviously a skilled musician working from the dots written down ,the music seemed to lack that spontaneity and enjoyment you get from a fiddler playing the Irish tune by ear or from memory. There is a great session in the Tap & Spile, Monkgate on Friday evenings and there is always at least a couple of fiddlers there. The room is small so make sure you get there early if you want a seat.

1 comment:

Christina S said...

Thanks for the tip. I may well check it out. I've only been to the Black Swan Folk evening since arriving - which was good I have to say. But then it had Chris Sherburn of Last Nights Fun fame (I'm a bit of a fan of LNF) accompanying Bella Hardy so it was bound to be good!

I've noticed quite a few folky buskers around in York - always makes me happy when I walk by :-)