Monday 19 January 2009

Bicycles Outside Goodricke College


Because York is fairly flat many people in York own a bicycle. It must be said though that there are not as many cycles on the road as there used to be. The lunchtime exodus of pedestrians and cyclists from the Rowntree factory in Haxby Road used to be a tourist attraction years ago with tourists taking up a startegic position near the dining block to watch as people came pouring out of the factory. Nowadays there is not this spectacle as automation has reduced the number of workers and car ownership has risen amongst those remaining.

I was impressed with the number of cycles outside Goodricke College and felt it was worthy of a photograph. Goodricke College is named after John Goodricke a famous astronomer who lived in York at the Treasurer's House next to the Minster in the late 1700s.

1 comment:

Christina S said...

There's a computer room just here, open all hours. In my final year I lived in a house in McHugh Court and used to park my bike here while finishing off final assignments in that room.

I was studying Hindi as part of my Linguistics course. Mr Ruby, who is of Indian origin named my bike "Basanti" which is a typical hero horse name in Indian movies!! I would work so late some nights that I didn't leave the Goodricke computer room till gone 3am, then I'd cycle at top speed past the playing fields as it was a bit scary in the dark. Basanti was brilliant, and bought for £20 from that place that does up old bikes by the river.