Wednesday 6 August 2008

Burton Stone



The Burton Stone Public House stands at the junction of Burton Stone Lane and Clifton. It takes the name from the stone that stands at the corner of the pub. The stone was used during the time of the Black Death plague and has hollows chipped out of the stone. The holes were filled with vinegar into which city dwellers would drop money and food would be left by farmers in the area by the stone. Burton was the name of a family living nearby. This stone is the only one left of four that existed around the city at the time of the plague. The stone is displayed just outside the corner of the pub where the group of women can be seen walking by.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing. I have lived in York all my life and didn't know this. I love your site and am looking at it daily. Keep up the good work

JollyGreenP said...

Thank you anonymous, glad you are enjoying my articles and that you have learnt something new. I am not sure how I learned the meaning behind the Burton Stone, I suspect that it was probably my youngest brother looked it up years ago when we used to pass it on our way into York from Newton On Ouse on the old Pullman Bus. Apparently, at one time it had a cross mounted on the top.

One of the local councillors is trying to raise funds to get an explanatory plaque made giving the history of the stone, I can't remember which one though.

Anonymous said...

I found this ... looks interesting

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/7621/burton_stone.html